It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Found another one__I.D?..
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:36 pm 
User

opin1234 wrote:
I think its a true spider Araneomorphae and I think it looks like a dysderdid or dysderidae. From the over all redness and eye pattern. I have found dysderidae spiders in my aptment before, when i lived in grand junction CO.

100% Myrmekiaphila comstocki - infraorder Mygalomorphae, family Cyrtaucheniidae, subfamily Euctenizinae. I would wager my life on the validity of this identification! :D

The dysderid you saw in Grand Junction (I am a Colorado native) was likely Dysdera crocata, a common (and introduced) species in the USA, but it is not close to the spider depicted in the pictures.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:40 pm 
User

way to one-up me Brent. lol. No, I should have added the subfamily AND that these darn things are non-native. They are a Mediterranean animal right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:52 pm 
User

Zach Valois wrote:
way to one-up me Brent. lol. No, I should have added the subfamily AND that these darn things are non-native. They are a Mediterranean animal right?

I didn't one-up you, broseph! Just had to argue for my initial ID 'cause I'm sticking to it! I've had too much experience with these spiders to think otherwise... it's clearly a mygal and the mating clasper on leg I is a dead giveaway to the genus (and the distribution narrows it down to the species).

And I have no idea what the native range of D. crocata is - perhaps Mediterranean, but it seems like it's easy enough for you to look up (I don't feel like it)... heh heh! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:11 pm 
User

Someone has to give you crap, might as well be me. Experience, with mygales? Why do you think I watch this forum?

Yeah, Mediterranean it is.

Did you get my last email? I plan to send you a package next week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 pm 
User

Zach Valois wrote:
Someone has to give you crap, might as well be me. Experience, with mygales? Why do you think I watch this forum?

Yeah, Mediterranean it is.

Did you get my last email? I plan to send you a package next week.

Yep, got your last email... that must mean I have to pack up that other stuff for you too, huh? I'll get a student to do it soon. But we're supposed to talk mygals here, so here goes: I like mygals. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:09 am 
User

That looks a lot like one I saw bolting across the bathroom floor last night when I turned on the light. It ducked into a corner before I could catch it. Are they found as far west as Albuquerque?

Do the tibial bulbs serve the same purpose as spurs on male tarantulas?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:39 am 
User

DFW Tfan wrote:
That looks a lot like one I saw bolting across the bathroom floor last night when I turned on the light. It ducked into a corner before I could catch it. Are they found as far west as Albuquerque?

Do the tibial bulbs serve the same purpose as spurs on male tarantulas?

Myrmekiaphila fizzles out in central Texas (to the west). I actually have no idea what mygals (aside from Aphonopelma) would be in ABQ... perhaps Eucteniza.

And yes, any modification to the first pair of legs in male mygals serves the same purpose as the spurs in theraphosids. Collectively, these structures are referred to as "mating claspers".

I am really curious about the spider you saw! The mygal fauna of the southwest is poorly documented and there are likely to be many undescribed species!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:09 am 
User

Brent wrote:
I am really curious about the spider you saw! The mygal fauna of the southwest is poorly documented and there are likely to be many undescribed species!

If I can catch one, I will send it on... will let you know. As I understand it, NMSU in Las Cruces has an interest, but funding will be rough this year (the state is already a half billion in the red).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:01 pm 
User

DFW Tfan wrote:
As I understand it, NMSU in Las Cruces has an interest, but funding will be rough this year...

Dave Richman is now working with diatoms instead of spiders. Is someone else taking over his arachnology course?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:44 am 
User

Bill S wrote:
Dave Richman is now working with diatoms instead of spiders. Is someone else taking over his arachnology course?

Not sure... didn't see it posted in the schedule. I am in ABQ and haven't seen any courses offered here, either NMSU extension or UNM. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:45 pm 
User

Brent wrote:
100% Myrmekiaphila comstocki - infraorder Mygalomorphae, family Cyrtaucheniidae, subfamily Euctenizinae. I would wager my life on the validity of this identification! :D

The dysderid you saw in Grand Junction (I am a Colorado native) was likely Dysdera crocata, a common (and introduced) species in the USA, but it is not close to the spider depicted in the pictures.

Well, I guess this is my first attempt at it, you seem to be more advanced. Though this is the "other spiders" forum, so i was duped from the start. Ha ha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:03 am 
User

opin1234 wrote:
Well, I guess this is my first attempt at it, you seem to be more advanced. Though this is the "other spiders" forum, so i was duped from the start. Ha ha

Nevermind I don't know what i meant by this.... For some reason I had it in my head that this forum was for Ananeomorphae spiders. But the other forum is actually for Theraphosidae only. They should have an Ananeomorph forum.

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2